blog-cover-photo

blog-cover-photo

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

Some would call that the "question of our time." It's the question everyone wants an answer to, partly due to the fact that most people believe they are "good" and the things they wish didn't happen to them were "bad." But is that the case?

This week, as we continue in our "Chronicles of History" series, we will take a "drive-by" look into the book of Job. Full of beautiful poetry and revelation into God's character, Job reminds us of our role as the created, worshipping and following the Creator.

Growing up, like most children, I asked a lot of "Why?" questions. But I always knew when I'd crossed the line between "why" and "well, that's stupid!" Either my butt got a bit reddened, or at the least, I'd hear, "Because I said so."

Church, the same is relatively true in our relationship with God. The book of Job ends with God essentially telling Job, "When you have your own universe, you can do what you want. But while you're under MY roof, you'll follow my rules!" Of course, Job (nor anyone else) will ever get his own universe, so my parental analogy dies there.

Join me on Sunday, however, because if you're like me, I often wonder where the line is drawn in how I am to approach God when disaster strikes, as it did Job. I often wonder what my friends might say, or whether or not I'll ever know the "good" the Bible seems to promise will come after the present calamity. Basically, if disaster has ever struck you or your family, perhaps some time with like-minded people in the book of Job is where God needs you this weekend. Hope to see you!

For more, check out http://www.crossroadstucson.com/!

No comments:

Post a Comment